Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Christ in Mafi Conadu

Mafi Conadu is a muslim, Mandigo village in Lofa County, Liberia. Today, Peter and I visited our Community Health Education/Evangelism (CHE) program there. We were hosted by two young men, Stephen and Octavius, who are currently living in Mafi Conadu in order to train them on safe health and hygiene practices while teaching them about Jesus for the next year. The village people just adore Stephen and Octavius. They both speak Mandigo and Octavius grew up a muslim and accepted Christ as his Saviour just two years ago.

One of my questions for the Mandigos was, "what have you learned from Stephen and Octavius?"

"We learn about Abraham and how God provided a sacrifice for him so that he didn't have to sacrifice his son."

"We learn about Jesus. Jesus is in the Koran too. We know that he is really Son of God."

"Then, we learn about cleaning. That we must clean dishes and wash hands so that we don't get mosquitos and so we don't get malaria."


We continued to talk about God and Jesus. They don't think there should be division between Muslims and Christians. Amazingly, Amara smiled and said today,

"My children are free to be Christian."

Peter said, "God set everybody free." Everyone smiled and agreed.

"What could we do to make CHE better for your community? " I asked.

"Films - we'd like to see films about Jesus."

"We also have land we could give for a church to be built."

INCREDIBLE!! I am amazed at the work our Lord is doing in this muslim village through Stephen and Octavius! Please pray for the Mandigo tribe in Liberia. That they would accept Christ as their Saviour. That a church would indeed be built in Mafi Conadu. That they may enjoy Christ's love at work in their lives.

Pray also for Stephen and Octavius as they continue to minister to this village. For strength, perseverence, and encouragement in the weeks and months to come.

Thank you so much for your many prayers, my friends. I cannot say this enough - God is hearing and answering them every day! He loves us so very much.

(I will post a photo of this village shortly...my apologies for the delay.)

4 comments:

John Q said...

Mel, Your posts amaze and encourage me. We'll keep praying. God is good!

Domenica said...

Melanie! My lovely! I am so glad that God is working in and through you and allowing you to do what you love best. I miss you soooo much. Hope to talk to you online or on the phone soon.
I love ya!and thinking about ya!
Domen

Aly sun said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. I never would have guessed your server would show up in Lebanon. The mystery is solved!

I enjoy reading your updates through your blog. It makes me want to return to Africa, but it also makes me pray for you and Phil and others who are living and working there. You have an amazing purpose as you serve Him in Liberia. Keep up the good work.

you guessed it said...

It was cool hearing this story in person!!!