Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Mara and more...

We got up early each morning to go on game drives, take photos, and enjoy the fresh air. We had a really fun van whose top would open up so we could peak outside and feel closer to the animals.



Phil and I both agreed that this trip was extra fun with our parents. We loved sharing all of the excitement and awe together. It seemed like every 5 seconds someone was smiling and saying "woah - look at that!"

After a couple days at the Mara, we headed back to Nairobi to prep and enjoy Thanksgiving dinner. We were so grateful to be together that it hardly mattered what we ate, but we still managed to pull off something traditional. Turkey, potatoes, pumpkin pie...mmm...we loved that we were able to share it together.

The next day, my parents and I left for a little adventure in Uganda. I took them to my village, Buremba, to meet my team and Moses and to sleep in the "bush" for a few days. They did great!! And fortunately God spared my mom from seeing or hearing the mouse in the their room. Haha - Dad and I were a bit worried after we spotted it. ;)

My mom and dad poured out so much love to my team and to our community. Everyone loved them, and felt cared for by them. They even raised money to buy bibles in the local language to give to each member of my team. Many of them told me later that it was their first bible. God was good to use my parents and their church in such a power way. After giving away bibles to the team, we danced and sang and ate our goat. It was wonderful to see everyone so joyful!

After Buremba, my parents were able to spend a day with me in Kampala and then they returned to the States. It was a hard goodbye, but it was worth it to have them here with me for a little while. I do not think they will ever question again how much I miss them. And despite missing them, I think they have an even greater understanding of why I am here. It is simply for God - for His sake. I am here with God for now, as long as He desires. For His good purposes. And enjoying it!

Thanks for your patience as I posted these older stories. More recent posts to follow. ;)

Know that I'm missing you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loving these stories, Mel. Thanks for taking the time to write them! Praying for you and Phil.

Unknown said...

WE MISS YOU SO VERY MUCH. GOD HAS BLESSED US MANY TIMES OVER BY HAVING YOU AS OUR DAUGHTER.

PRAYERS, LOVE AND BIG HUGS