Monday, August 11, 2008

Foya Fotos

I'm visiting a beautiful new part of the country called Lofa this week. It's been a wonderful experience so far. I'll tell you a few details through pictures today....

This is our sub-base where we are staying for the week. Beautiful place!


These are the crazy muddy roads we travelled to see our projects today. We drove for over 45 mins on these jungle roads to visit communities where churches were being constructed. Honestly, these people amaze me - I mean, how do they get their rice the whole way back here? It's so heavy! And they certainly don't have cars. I tell you - Liberians are strong and determined people, my friends.


She is a beautiful woman that I thought you would enjoy meeting.

And he had the brightest smile of the day!

I went on a walk with my friends Phil and Celestina two nights ago. We came across this beautiful rice farm just as the sun was beginning to set. Isn't this country gorgeous?

This is a bit of the forest we were walking through. A forest full of palm trees. The smell is beautiful too. So fresh and crisp. I wish I could take you all on a little stroll with me.

Finally, we headed over to the Pakistani batallion tonight for a delicious dinner. We ate all too much Pakistani food, Celestina got to chat in Urdu, and we laughed about pitiful volleyball matches and dog-eating. Quite a crew we are here...Liberians, Pakistanis, and Americans....who would have ever imagined us all together sharing a meal in Lofa, Liberia? Life is definitely interesting these days. God is good!

I'm reminded of this verse...
"Keep on loving each other as brothers. Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it." Hebrews 13:1-2


I feel like God has blessed me with some angels in my life these days...thanks for your prayers!

2 comments:

Beth "Pilar" Christy said...

Even if we're not there physically Mel, we are always with you in spirit! And I love all the beautiful place that you've shared with me through this blog.

Matthew Bartko said...

It really is a blessing to the saints back here to read about what’s going on in your life please keep posting and encouraging the saints.