Thursday, August 28, 2008

Malawo Update



So we went to Malawo, a village that is infamous for its juju magic. We went to love the people, to be Christ to them and to provide for a couple of their basic needs. I was excited and a little nervous. I thought the people would be hesitant to meet us - that they might be a bit closed off and perhaps difficult to interact with. I couldn't have been more wrong.


We were welcomed with open arms - literally. I was given a hug by a village woman (Vahmu I think) when I reached the summit of our 1 hour hike to Malawo. The entire village came out of their homes to meet us and shake our hands. They wore bright smiles and received us with warm thank yous. I felt like I was going to church that evening. I mean, it was the kind of welcome you would expect from Providence Church of Pittsburgh.


We spent two nights in their village on the hill. We installed 6 biosand water filters and worked on plastering a latrine. To be honest, I mostly played with the chitlins (kids). They were such an easy, fun crowd I couldn't resist! They loved repeating my "sorry-oh!" and "oh la la!" - I think, just to make me smile.


God is indeed doing a mighty work on this hill. One woman of the village recently went to a Christian conference in a nearby city and a man asked to see the Jesus Film. God is stirring their hearts!


Please continue praying for salvation for the people of Malawo and for wisdom for our ministry staff as to how lead us in evangelism.


Love and blessings to you all,


"Kgobo Dede" (my Loma name)


PS. Again my apologies, internet is slow and therefore photos are difficult to post, but I'll keep working on it...

2 comments:

Laedelas Greenleaf said...

What an adorable little boy! I'm so glad God was with you in that village!

PS: Yay! Providence!

John Q said...

I am glad to hear that things went well. we were praying for you.

John Q