Sunday, August 3, 2008

a Love story

LOVE is the name of a friend of mine. He is a young Liberian man who lived through much tragedy during the war. I know only bits and pieces of his story, but enough to want to share some with you.

Love is a funny, soft spoken guy. He loves to laugh and make you smile. I feel very comfortable around him, so I asked him about his family and where they went during the war. One day he told me a few details. He said softly, "We fled to Guinea because Monrovia was a battle field. Gunfire everywhere. I watched my best friends gunned down on the street."

"Oh no. What about your family, Love? Was your family okay?"

"No, my ma died" Love said bluntly.

He stared at his feet. My eyes welled up in tears. All I could say was that I was so sorry. Empty words. But a meaningful moment. I didn't ask for more details.

--------------------------------------------

One day, my housemate Erin came home with another Love story. Love was captured by rebels during the war along with a group of young boys. They were taken to the top of a hill and told by a particular soldier to turn around. He ordered them to begin running as soon as they heard gunfire. They turned as they were told, sure that death would follow. Moments later gunfire began and they sprinted. As Love ran for his life, he looked over his shoulder to see the soldier firing directly above their heads - but missing all of the boys. Love remembered his face. Most Liberians remember these faces.

A few months ago, Love was walking down the now peaceful streets of Monrovia. To his surprise, he saw him - it was that soldier's face. He stopped, pointed, and shouted, "Hey! Hey you! You tried to kill me!"

The man looked at Love, a bit alarmed, saying "I don't know what you are talking about?"

"You tried to kill me!' Love yelled. Now making a scene - drawing attention to the two of them.

"No I didn't!" the man squawked back - continuing to deny Love's accusation.

Love was certain that this was the man. He would never forget that face.

Love persisted, "I forgive you. I forgive you."

A crowd of people now watching. They all hear LOVE, but the man says nothing. He looks embarrased and continues in denial, but nonetheless hears Love.

------------------------------------------

Are you hearing Love today? There is pain in this world. There is death. There are unbearable trials and burdens. But amidst it all - there remains Love.

Love was able to forgive that man only because of God's work in and through him. He knows and believes in Jesus Christ as his savior. He's living out his faith. Love is being Christ to the lost, unconditionally.

This is a true Love story, my friends. Remember that you are loved by our Father in heaven today. May you remain in His love.

Please continue to pray for Liberia - that Christ's love would go forth and save souls.

------------------------------------------
Sorry for the lack of photos. My internet connection hasn't been very good. So, I must leave you with only a story tonight.

3 comments:

tim and lynne said...

Mel,
What a Love story. May we all remember to forgive and Love no matter what has happened. Our God is a Loving and forgiving God no matter what happens

Christina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christina said...

Mel,

Beautiful story...I'd love to talk to Love. Do you think that would be possible this week??? I'd love to get his story into the newspaper. Hope you are doing well! Miss seeing you around! You must come hang out with me at my new apartment. Did you and the girls and whomever else you might want to invite :) want to come over this weekend for a movie/brownie night?