Sunday, July 12, 2009

Sundays in the village

Cory and Moses -- especially for Cory's dad ;)


We all slept in. And it felt so good. Then we had a laundry competition. After three packages of OMO (way too much) I had my clothes smelling like roses and my whites were glowing. I declared myself the winner, much to the dismay of Cory.



After washing clothes, I decided to wash Moses. I plopped him down in a basin and scrubbed, scrubbed, scrubbed that dirty little body. He laughed and played and then sat stiff as a board on a chair for five minutes to dry in the sun. I was proud of him. Then he jumped down in the dirt and was filthy from head to toe within 5 minutes.



Tomorrow Moses' HIV test is scheduled for 10am. Cory and I are going to take him and Mary (Moses' caretaker) to a private clinic in the village. We are continuing to pray that he is negative. We should know within minutes. It's similar to a pregnancy test, but using blood on the little strip. Honestly, we are really nervous. Please pray with us.



On a bright note, Moses has been playing all day long with his "shoebox". He was one of the blessed recipients in the village. I taught him how to use his new toothbrush and paste today -- washed him up with his new soap -- and we played with his new phone, motocar, and tops. He loves it all! :)



It's amazing to be staying in the village where we distributed. The children have been more active in the past 24 hrs than I've seen them in the past 4 months. To everyone that has ever put a shoebox together - please know that God does indeed bless the labor of your hands. These children heard of God's love for them yesterday and they continue to experience His love as they play with their toys. God has worked through you to give them so much joy! On behalf of the village, "Thank you so much!!"



Finally, I listened to a sermon on my iPod while Moses took a nap. I don't attend church every Sunday because I don't speak the local language and therefore, find it difficult to be nourished. Trust me, I miss my church family and teaching so much. But for now, God has me here - in the village - on Sundays. Please pray that I will be growing more and more in my love for Him. I am praying this prayer for you too.

2 comments:

Aly sun said...

Our MOPS group puts together 30 or so boxes every year for Operation Christmas child. It is so great to read about them being opened... so far from home... to children who truly appreciate it.

Praying for Moses.

I got a package from you! Thank you, thank you. You are so thoughtful and I love the elephant things.

Lisa said...

Mel,

Oh my goodness... Moses is SO cute! Awww... poor little guy... he has so much to deal with at such a young age. I'm glad you bathed him, Mel!

Love, Lisa