Thursday, July 9, 2009

A typical day




When I was in the states, I was asked a great question. "Mel, can you tell us about a typical day in your life?" It took about 30 minutes to reply and I felt like I did a bad job, so here's another shot at some details.

Today feels like a typical day, so here we go....

I woke up to dogs fighting in the mid of the night and then to roosters crowing at about 6:30. Then little Moses came around my door singing his version of "This is the Day" at the top of his lungs and yelling my name so that I would come out. :)

I ate some chapati. Checked some emails. We prayed as a team. And then I had a staff member arrive who drove over an hour to get supplies that weren't urgent. I had a nice stern conversation with him about good stewardship of our fuel. I think he understand about 50% of what I said.

I waited for about 2 hours for some staff to arrive so that I could take them to the bank to get their money. I love waiting.

Now I'm in a town called Kamwenge and we got a ton of work accomplished! We purchased supplies for Child Hygiene Fairs and for water filter construction. I paid our transportation guy his millions. Bought some bibles - Baibuli Erikwera - in the local language. And I purchased about two dozen eggs -- mmmm, I can't wait to eat them. :) Now we can have something new for breakfast and I can try to make some banana bread over hot coals tonight. Oh la la!

I'm getting ready for another hour car ride back to Buremba. On our way here I was reading some "Water Stories" from the bible that we want to incorporate into our project. We want to entertain our audience at the workshop with more than water filters. We want to entertain them with stories about Living Water. To remind them that,

"Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water Jesus gives them will never thirst. Indeed, the water Jesus gives will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life" John 4:13-14

Please pray with us that our community will accept the living water offered by Jesus.

So this is a little glimpse into a typical day. The photos above are of our community members constructing filters, being educated about good health and hygiene and drinking some clean water. This stuff also goes on everyday. :)

By the way, we haven't tested Moses for HIV yet. His caregiver is very sick with malaria, so we want to wait until she is well so that she can receive the counseling with Moses. I'll keep you up-to-date on them. Thanks for your prayers.

Know that I'm missing you, my friends! Let me know your prayer requests. I'd love to be praying with you as well.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mel,

Thanks for sharing with us your day. It reminds me to be thankful for my day, all that has been provided and the presence of our gracious Lord. Especially, when I'm waiting! My prayers are with Moses, his caretaker and You.
LOVE and BIG HUGS

Aly sun said...

Your typical day reminds me of my time in Africa. No one lives by the clock and there was a lot of waiting.... So different and yes, it makes me appreciate my easy, all be it predictable, life.

Patty said...

mel,
oh la la for banana bread. that made me miss you. and good to know that only dogs and roosters wake you up. does that mean you're a heavier sleeper now? :) love you lots!

Lisa said...

Banana bread... makes me think of banana pancakes... that song makes me think of you!

Love, Lisa