Tuesday, September 29, 2009

More on Moses


"Agandi, Mary. How are you today?"

"I'm good, Melanie. How are you? How is life? How is this place?"

"It's good. But Mary, you know, Moses - he is still sick. He has had cough for more than 1 month."

"Bombay. I know. I have tablets."


"Where are they, Mary?" *She looks for about 2 minutes before she finds them.* "Have you been giving them to Moses?"

"Not yet."

*I look at them closer and am somewhat relieved. They look like aspirine.*

"Mary, you know, Moses. He is sick everytime I am here. We need to find out why. I'd like you to take him for a TB test at the government clinic - just to be sure. It is free. "

"You take him , Melanie. It's okay."

"No, Mary. Moses is yours. You must take him. Will you take him today, please?"

"But I am so tired. I was at a party this morning. I am just too tired. You take him. He loves you so much."

"No, Mary. You must take him. Tomorrow - will you take him tomorrow?"

"Yes. I will. I will do each and every thing. But tomorrow. I am too tired today."

Mary didn't take Moses for his free TB test. And she refuses to buy him medication because of money. However, Mary is one of the smartest (nicest looking) women in the village.


I want to help Moses, but I must be careful. The more I do for Moses, the less responsibility Mary takes for him. If I am not careful he will be worse-off after I leave then when I arrived. My goal right now is to get him healthy and involve Mary as much as possible along the way. Please pray that our Lord would heal Moses' body, and soften Mary's heart to love him deeply - with a genuine mother's love. Pray that I would be given wisdom as I care for him. I'm open to advice.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Does Moses have anyone else to care for him in the village? Could you ask them to help be responsible for him?

Perhaps Moses is not the one who needs all the help. Maybe it's Mary that God needs to reach and you need to serve?

The other thing to remember is: God knows Moses' needs, Mel. It may be hard to leave him, but his mother is the woman God has chosen to care for him. We can and will pray for Moses, but you really can't do anything to change his mother. You just have to pray and leave things in God's hands. He is the One who will change Mary's heart and Moses' health. I know that is hard.

Remember truth:
- Phil. 4:5 "The Lord is near."
- God is good... regardless of what happens.
- God is using this for your good and His glory.
- God loves Moses more than you do or his mother does.
- You are finite. God is infinite and has infinite resources.
- God is in control.

Praying for you today,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

continue to care for Moses as God leads you to. He is going to learn from you and so will his mother. Put trust in the lord as you go down this path. You are doing a great job.