Friday, September 25, 2009

Salvation for Herbert!


Humble. Hardworking. Family man. Were my first impressions of Herbert. He was one of my only staff members who brought his family to live with him at his worksite, rather than leave them behind in another village. I was immediately impressed by his love for them. Because of his hardwork ethic, and great attitude (never an ounce of complaint) I promoted him the first chance I got. Everyone on the team celebrated because they knew he deserved it.

Honestly, I would have boasted Herbert as one of our most devoted Christians because he was such a good man. It never crossed my mind that he may not know Jesus.

So just a couple weeks ago we had our ministry conference in Kampala. I was allowed to take 15 of my staff members - but only "payroll." Fortunately, due to Herbert's recent promotion, he was eligible.

In Kampala, our staff were blessed with 2 days of wonderful teaching from a Ugandan pastor. He talked about what it meant to live in the Presence of God. Everyone listened intently everyday and even wished for him to preach longer. At the end of our last night together, our Pastor gave an invitation for anyone who wanted a relationship with Christ to come forth. But no one was to open their eyes. I wanted so badly to see if any of my staff went forward, but I couldn't open my eyes and breach their trust. So I remained anxiously in the dark.

Then we gathered in small groups to pray and encourage each other afterwards.

As I was walking back to my room, my friend Jodi yelled for me. She had tears in her eyes and started telling me about Herbert. She was in his small group and he gently told everyone that he had accepted Christ for the first time. He said, "I have worked for SP for 5 years now, but I never really understood what it was all about -- until tonight."

God opened Herbert's heart to the gospel that night. Herbert is now saved and enjoying a relationship with Jesus - forever! Please pray for him and his family as they begin this journey together. May his wife and children accept Christ, may he be rooted in a strong church, may Godly men come around him in encouragement, and may Herbert continue to love our Lord more and more each day!

This is what it's all about, my friends.

To God be all the Glory!


PS. This was also a good reminder that it doesn't matter how good anyone is. Before Herbert accepted Christ, his salvation was not secure. Also, everyone working for us should be a Christian, but because Christianity is so nominal here, it is often hard to know for sure.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

BEAUTIFUL! I love that, Mel! It's shows how God uses all things for our good, too. Herbert received salvation, your friend, Jodi was blessed from hearing it from Herbert. You were blessed from hearing it from Jodi. And, all your readers are blessed and encouraged from this story of salvation as we hear it from you.

Please tell Herbert I said, "Welcome to the family!" If I don't meet him in this life, I will meet him soon enough when we go home to be with our Heavenly Father! :-)

Love, Lisa

Aly sun said...

That's such great news. Thanks for sharing about the encouraging things that are happening.

Author at 661 said...

How exciting - Praise God!

-Alaina