Tuesday, September 1, 2009

You just give

(a cute old mosai)

We were deep in the banana forest, constructing our new worksite. Laying cement between the eucalyptus poles. Beads of sweat running down the faces of Dativah and Innocent.

"Nice work, Dativ and Inno!", I yelled with a smile. "Tu gende..." (Let's go...)

They smiled back, we packed up and loaded ourselves into the Pajero for the ride home.

As I was trying to crawl up into our big car, an old Mosai (old man) was trying to ask me something. It seemed as if he wanted money. He would tug at my shirt - tilt his head - hold out his hands and say, "Muzungu" (white woman). His breath smelled of alcohol, so I was a bit nervous. I was compassionate only so far as to not close his arms in the door.

Then, Akankwasa reached into his pocket, pulled out 200 shillings (10 cents) and said "roll down your window." He gave the bit of money to the old Mosai, with a big shiny smile.

"How do you know who to give to Akankwasa?" I said. "I mean..."

He interrupted and said, "You just give, manager (melanie)."

"I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me and whatever you did not do for them, you did not do for me" Jesus said.
Matthew 25:31-46

"Several ways to make yourself miserable" ... Way #8 ... "don't fall into any compassion traps - the sort of situation where people can walk all over you. If you get too involved in other people's troubles, you may neglect your own."
- Elizabeth Elliot

God, give us hearts for the poor and needy. Give us compassion. Enable us to give of ourselves. For your sake. For your pleasure. For your glory.

I learned a simple lesson from Akankwasa. It can be simple.

2 comments:

Aly sun said...

This is a hard lesson to learn, whatever part of the world you live in. It is easy to judge instead of feel compassion. You were able to convey a good reminder with this post. Thanks for sharing.

Lisa said...

Mel,

You are the woman for the job, Mel. I am an awe of your experiences, but more so of what God is doing through you and with you! Thanks for blessing me!

Love, Lisa