Friday, July 11, 2008

VBS Cont....

Friday was our last day with the children in Sappimah. The week had gone fantastic! The theme was "Jesus loves Me!" Everyday we talked about accepting Jesus into our hearts, following Him, praying to Him and living with Him forever. The last day many of the children repeated a simple, life altering prayer with me. It went something like this:

"Jesus, we love you.
Jesus, we believe in you.
We believe that you died for our sins.
Thank you, Jesus - for dying for me
so that I can live with God forever and ever.
Jesus, please come into my heart.
Please forgive me for my sins.
Thank you for forgiving me.
Thank you for loving me.
We love you, Jesus.
Amen."

Because the children heard the gospel and because of this prayer - the week ended well. I trust that God will use this week as a seed that will bear fruit in their hearts and lives.

To give you a very real picture of our Friday. Patty and I left the village on the verge of serious discouragement. Surprising, right. I mean isn't this work supposed to make us feel good at the end of the day?

Honestly, we didn't feel good. Before we left, we joyfully gave a toy to each child in the program. However, many unhappy parents in the village quickly demanded toys for their children who were not in the VBS program. (We offered the VBS to every child - some chose to decline.) I had to explain to angry mothers that I would like nothing more than to give every single child in this village a toy today, but I only have enough for those in the VBS. Sadly, these words fell on deaf ears. And my name was crudely being mocked by one mother "Auntie Mel, Auntie Mel..." Finally, I realized we just had to leave. So we did. A difficult end, to a wonderful week.

But do me a favor now and read the prayer we said together again -- envisioning the words being spoken from the lips of the little girl pictured above.

It doesn't always feel good at the end of the day. But we're not here to make ourselves feel good. We're here to tell these children about the hope and love of Jesus Christ. It's about Him and for Him - not us.

So I leave you with this wonderful piece of scripture - a verse that I am repeating to myself tonight:

"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things."
Philippians 4:8


A few more pictures to enjoy!

(Their beautiful faces!!)

(My wonderful SP VBS teammates (from left to right): Patty, Hauwa, Levi, Erin, and Willy)


(The bridge we crossed each day to get to Sappimah.)

Thank you so much for your many prayers. Please continue praying with us ... we have another 100 children with whom to share Christ's love next week!!

2 comments:

Laedelas Greenleaf said...

My prayers go with you, Mel!

Domenica said...

How encouraging to read about God's work there through you and the others. I am amazed at how God seems to center you even in the midst of discouragement. You are a pure blessing, Mel and I am so thankful to call you my friend and sister in Christ.
I love you sweets! Hopefully I'll catch you online sometime soon!
Love ya much!
Domen