Friday, March 27, 2009

Answered Prayer: Home sweet Homes!

Just to explain to you a bit more of my life in Uganda, I will be living in two places while I'm here. 50% of my time will be in the capital city Kampala, and 50% in rural Kamwenge. Here are a couple photos of my new homes.

(Kampala: we are the first cozy apartment on the left - it's a very comfortable place)
In Kampala, I live in a pleasant suburbian community. I can take a nice jog, treat myself to ice cream and then meander to the coffee shop around the corner. I currently share this place with my Sudanese friend, Lagu and our American finance lady, Lori. It's also the SP guest so we have visitors coming through on a regular basis.

(Kamwenge: we have the office on the right, with a set of 12 rooms in the back)


In Kamwenge, we are renting this hotel from Justice, a widow in the community. It is a blessing to be able to support her. It will be used as our office space and our home. There are 12 rooms in the back so I will always have lots of company. However, digging a new latrine is going to be one of our first orders of business because let's just say the old one is all filled up. Oh the joys of living in Africa!

4 comments:

Aly sun said...

It looks like quite the difference between your two homes. How far is the distance between the two places? Or perhaps I should ask how long it takes to travel the distance.
It is so good to get a visual of where you are working. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Lisa said...

Hooray! I'm so happy you have a home! You know... I never really thought of Africa having suburbs! How interesting! I thought you'd be out in the woods on a hammock made from monkey fur or something.

Well, I am praying for you!

Love, Lisa

Lisa said...

OH! Thanks for posting your mailing address!!! Expects some snail mail soon!

Love, Lisa

Patty said...

it's beautiful! looks like a blast! know you're doing a great job!