Thursday, May 28, 2009

Some friends from the field



A couple weekends ago I had some fun with some friends from the field. The four guys in the picture above are Tred (intern), Julius (my driver), Amos (my other driver), and Cory (intern). Tred and Cory were visiting our program for the week so I decided to take them out to a place called Kibale National Forest for a little outdoor fun over the weekend. Julius and Amos came with us because they themselves are a lot of fun. I'm so blessed to have them and their good humor on my team!

Being deep in the forest was the perfect refreshment - it smelled so good and crisp! And it was a wonderful reminder of God's creativity and beautiful mind. Honestly, we didn't see a ton of wildlife, but we did see some red, black/white, and brown monkeys - obviously I don't remember any of their real names - sorry. We also got to hike through some fresh elephant tracks...that's what Cory is pointing to in the bottom middle photo. But unfortunately we didn't run into any elephants on our hike. Next time, right!

After our hike, we ventured out to a visit a nearby crater lake (top left photo.) We searched around a bit and found a little dock to hang out on. We just sat around with our feet dangling in the water telling stories about home, families and travel. It was a great way to end the week.


I can hardly believe another week is coming to an end. I'll tell you more about village life soon. I've been staying in Buremba the past few days and really enjoying it.


For now - may we all take a little time to revel at and enjoy God's creation! He is so amazing!


Take care, my friends.

3 comments:

Aly sun said...

The forest looks like quite the change for you. It looks refreshing. Glad you are still enjoying life! It is always good to read your updates.

Lisa said...

Mel,

You and four men, eh? Sounds like you had a good time exploring the world around you!

Lord, would you provide a church family for Melanie and give her opportunities to share the Gospel. I pray that You would put people who love You in her life to live around and relate with. Amen.

I am praying for you!
Lisa

willemien said...

Hi Melanie, a little message from the netherlands. i know a little about your friends and situation i like to read your diary and i am glad that "Kamwenge" is more and more your home!next thursday we have the "thank you" evening with 60 volunteers from Sam. Purse at home. They all helping to make the boxes ready for export. I shall talk about the distribution from boxes in Kamwenge and use your text ( is that okee??) how the preparation was. We shall pray for the S.P team and the projects in Kamwenge. I wish you all the blessing from God our heavenly Father.
greetings: Willemien de Vree.