Sunday, May 17, 2009

Update: Shoebox Distribution

(Click on this collage to see enlarged photos)

Answered prayer, my friends! The shoebox distribution at St Stephen's Church in Kamwenge went fantastic. 300 excited children heard and experienced the gospel. 7 churches of various denominations were united. 4 countries were present and actively participating in sharing Christ's love. And our 1 and only God was praised and glorified!

It was amazing to be working with God on this project. He worked miracle after miracle and engaged more people than I would have ever imagined. Planning the event was challenging, but it caused us all to meet with God in prayer and surrender our plans to Him. I can confidently say that He made it all happen and He made it all good.

The day of the distribution, St Stephen's church was packed full of patient, glowing children. We talked to them about Jesus and told them about God's love for each one of them. We sang some fun songs together - led by our wonderful visitors from the Netherlands. And we explained that there were people all over the world that love them and prepared these boxes for them. We told the children about you and about your hearts. And we explained to them that these shoeboxes are a tangible expression of God's love for them. Then we prayed together and finally....we gave them the shoeboxes and let them loose to have some fun!!

As you can see, the children had a blast! They were smiling, laughing and playing until the moment we left. God was there and we were all enjoying it together!

For all of you who have been involved in packing shoeboxes full of toys, school supplies, and personal care items for children around the world - thank you, thank you, thank you! You are giving more than material gifts. You are sharing the love of Christ with the nations. May we all continue to pray for these children and their families. May we pray that they will know Christ as their Lord and Saviour.

A special thank you to my friends from the Netherlands. You were a true joy and delight in my life last week. You were a gift from God to me. Kamwenge is missing you!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Mel,

This especially affects my heart because my mom's church puts together about 30-40 shoeboxes each year to send along. It always makes her so happy to buy each item to place in the box.

I just love being the "flesh" of Christ. It's a beautiful thing to see it all unfold. It was such a joy to read your entry... some of the boxes that were shown may have passed through my hands!

God is so kind to share His love to these children. As a spoiled American, I must say that experiencing God's love through the giving of tangible gifts and service leaves me so much more satisfied than my closet of clothes, my name-brand sneakers, or my cuboard full of junk food!

Praise God for His great mercy and kindness!

Lots of love and prayers,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Hey Mel,
How awesome to witness their smiling faces when you let them loose to discover the fun items in their shoeboxes...Rock on!!
You're such an inspiration doing what you're doing! I love it :)
Love,
Lisa (Redhead)