Sunday, April 26, 2009

Being a Muzungu in Kamwenge

(A glimpse of life in Kamwenge)

I visit Kaganga Supply Shop to pay our multi-million Ugandan Shilling (UGS) debt. I walk up the dirt path to the dusty shop. I follow a pathway of iron roof sheets that leads to the wooden desk where Mrs. Kaganga sits and will take my money. I quietly stand in line behind a local man from the community and plan to wait until he is finished making his purchase. He turns around with big eyes and says to me, "You better than me, Muzungu* - you go." He ushers me forward with his hand but I refuse with laughter. "No no! You go first. I am no better. I can wait." He finished his purchase and I feel incredibly awkward.


I hand Mrs. Kaganga our last millions and we try to have a pleasant conversation in english as she counts. She understands every 3rd or 4th word I say. We smile a lot and laugh a bit at our poor communication. But she is getting her money and I am getting my receipt, so we're both content. I play with her 4 year old child, Joseph. Tickling him a bit. Laughing with him. Mrs. Kaganga smiles and points to her smallest child - about 6 months old - sitting pantless on the dirt floor behind her. "You can have that one", she says. I laugh nervously. "Mrs. Kaganga, that beautiful boy is yours!" "No no, you take him. Take him with you. You can have him," she says bluntly. I say "no" again with a smile. She smiles as well. I turn and leave. Feeling a tinge of sadness.


Next I go to the market to buy some sweet bananas. I was trying to pay, but I was being clumsy. Dropping all my things. It was taking quite a long time. During all this fumbling, my merchant calls her daughter to come talk to me. Instructing her to say "how are you?" I entertain the small child and say "I am fine. How are you?" She smiles and says "fine." I finally grab the coins I need, read each one and pay the child's mother. I walk away saying "Webele (thank you)". But the mother calls me back and makes her daughter talk to me again. But this time, the child is told to bow to me. I quickly get on my knees as well. Eye to eye, we exchange the same simple words as before. I leave hoping and praying that the young girl understood that she never has to bow to a Muzungu.


I don't what to say about these experiences. I have them everyday in Kamwenge. I just pray that the Lord would guard me from the temptation to take advantage of my skin color.


May our Lord be glorified through these Muzungu bodies.


*Muzungu is the term used to describe a "white person" in Uganda.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Wow, Mel,

Sounds like you really have to remind yourself that you are there to serve. Otherwise, it would feel like you were being worshipped!

I know God is going to use you in that place, as you remind the people in Kamwenge of God's mercy and that our Savior came to serve instead of being served. Though they are in such poor circumstances, in some ways they seem to have the advantage. They know they are nothing and consider others are better than themselves. That is not a typical American's outlook! I imagine you may feel temptation toward self-righteousness. There is grace, Mel!

I'll be praying for you as you interact with the Ugandan people and for grace to remember your Savior in those moments. I sense your burden to love them and care for them. Remember Mel: God is in control and wants to use you there! He will be glorified as you enjoy Him and love Him!

Praying for you,
Lisa