Thursday, April 2, 2009

Field Survival Tips

These tips come from my personal experiences in Uganda...enjoy!
  1. Do NOT take Larium - and if you are - stop now! Doxy is a thrify alternative coupled with sunscreen. Or splurg on the Malarone. Just trust me here.
  2. Cinnamon and honey in your tea are a great anti-histamine.
  3. If your vehicle gets stuck in the mudd, use your snow-driving experience to get unstuck.
  4. African shortcuts = American scenic routes, aka. the LONG way
  5. Railroad tracks are never meant for minibuses
  6. 1 African kilometer = 2 American miles or more

It's been a fun week so far. I'm thankful to be healthy and still smiling - thank you Lord!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Mel,

Good list! hahaha... :-) Sounds like you are living it up. You are meant to be doing the sort of thing you are doing there in Africa. Not everyone is cut out for that stuff. I mean, geez, I get anxious when I miss my turn off the highway. I guess I have a lot more to learn than you do. God is at work in me HERE in Pittsburgh and you THERE in Africa. I'm so glad He's in control and has different plans for us all.

It's so good to see how He is stretching you and how your reaction is submission and faith. You have been given much faith from your beautiful Creator which, in turn, makes you more beautiful in Christ!

How's the hunt for a church family going? Are there any churches nearby? Where would you attend... Kampala or Kamwenge?

OH! I was looking at a globe one day at school with a pre-school friend of mine. I was showing them where Pittsburgh is and how far (all the way across the ocean) it was to my friend who is in Africa. You were a school lesson, Mel! I'm so excited that I know the capital of Uganda now. :-)

Patty said...

ha ha ha ha!!! don't take the Larium? why not? do you see little dwarfs who spray bug spray at 2 a.m.? that's hilarious!!! but it's nice to know that all is going well and hopefully that you're off the Larium, even though I don't have to worry that you'd accidentally do something to me now.

Domenica said...

Hey Mel,
Just wanted to say I love you and I miss you. Praying for you tonight!
Domen

Beth "Pilar" Christy said...

Wow...I love this post!!!