Saturday, April 4, 2009

Embraced by God

I made some new friends in Kamwenge - the children next door. They are super cute and curious about the Muzungu (white woman) who walks by every day. When they see me, they run to the edge of their yard, yell greetings, and wave their little hands with big smiles.

I love it! I smile, greet, and wave back.

Today I wanted to buy a pineapple to give to my friend Moses (from Covenant Mercies) as a gift tomorow. I started asking around town, and they told me to go to the market. I soon realized that I couldn't find the market, so I asked another lady for directions. She said, "follow me, I'll take you." "Wow - so kind", I thought.

Ten strides later she said bluntly, "you buy me my pineapple because I show you."

This expectation frustrated me. So I just turned around and decided to go back pineapple-less. And with a really bad attitude.

I prayed a lot on my walk back. Praying that God would help me to love as He loves - not because we love Him or are even kind to Him - but unconditionally.

So I approached my place and could hear the kids laughing and playing. Already, they had made me smile. But this time, they did more than greet me and wave - they ran up to me one by one, arms open wide and gave me a bunch of great big hugs! I was shocked and immediately filled with so much love for those children.

God was answering my prayer with those hugs - He was helping me to love Uganda - and He was showing His love to me - unconditionally. I was embraced by God today!

May He continue to help us love Him and his children more...may He place unconditional love in our hearts...and may we share it with those who need it most.

PS. Sorry for the lack of photos...my internet connection isn't quite strong enough to download them right now.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

That's beautful, Mel. It was kind of God to treat you with grace after your "bad attitude"! I'm always amazed at how He does that. He's so good! I can't wait to see some pictures of those beautiful children!

Anonymous said...

Hey Mel,
I need to adopt the attitude of those Children! God is doing some amazing things over there and you are part of it! Part of me is Jealous girl! Love you! Keep doing what you're doing!!
Love,
Lisa (RED)