Monday, April 27, 2009

Patty - laundry isn't the same without you

Today I did my laundry by hand because I'm out in the sticks. I'm staying at this place called the Cape and technically, I could have the staff do it for me. But for some reason I feel bad about that. This is one of those gender things for me. If I were a guy, I don't think I'd hesitate. I would just put a helpless look on my face and ask. But being a woman, I feel like I should avoid being lazy and do it myself. So, I scrubbed away today and it reminded me of a fond memory of Liberia.


(Photos of Patty in Malawo)

When I was in Bopolu, Liberia doing VBS with Patty, we did our laundry by hand one Sunday. First off, we had all too many clothes. Secondly, we scrubbed too hard on the first few items. Thirdly, I think we were wimps. But by the time we got to the bottom of our buckets we were simply swirling, smelling and rinsing because we were so tired. After hanging our things, we took a nap. :)
You would have been so proud of me today, Patty. I had half as many clothes and I scrubbed them all! And I didn't even need a nap, though it's sounding a bit tempting right now. However, I can definitely say that laundry-by-hand isn't as much fun without you. I miss you Patty...this post is dedicated to you!!

3 comments:

Aly sun said...

Thanking the Lord for my washer, dryer, and reliable electricity. Good for you for taking on the task all by hand.

Lisa said...

Mel,

That was probably a time-consuming yet humbling task. I am so happy you decided to do it. I think it will give you a more accurate picture of life for the people you are serving. Perhaps you'll feel less like a spoiled American and more like a Servant of Christ. What a great experience! I wish I were there with you to help. :-)

Love, Lisa

Patty said...

oh, melster, i shed a tear, AND i laughed. i am SO proud of you and grateful for a dedication! i'm also grateful that i was blessed enough to be able to not only do laundry with you, but all the other memories we have too of rogues and midgets and motorbikes and coca-cola and everything else. you bring joy wherever you go and i know you're doing an awesome job. in a couple months you're going to be a hand-washing machine :)! i miss you and love you dearly!!!!

-huge hugs-