Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Comfort

(Buremba children having some fun)

Tomorrow morning I drive out to the village to be with my team again. I've been in Nairobi and Kampala for the past few days. Buremba seems a world away. But we're on our way...

I had a wonderful, unexpected blessing today. I spent some time with a family visiting from the States. They should have been strangers to me, but instead God truly blessed our time together and made it comfortable. It was so refreshing to sit around and chit chat. I don't think they realized how much they were caring for me by just sharing a bit of their family warmth. It felt like I was close to "home" for a couple hours.

So now it's time to pack my bag again. I have a little checklist in my head these days...headlamp - favorite toilet paper - buff - iPod - SP shirts - good to go!

I'll be honest, it's a bit hard to get excited about going back out. I feel guilty about it sometimes. I know God has me in the village for this time in my life and that He wants me to persevere. I trust His motives and His goodness. But then that desire for comfort creeps in.

Tonight I'm reminded that comfort is a gift. Something that we should praise and thank God for! And something that we should hold with an open hand. Willing to give it up. For His sake.

I'm so thankful for the gift of comfort I had tonight and during my time in Nairobi. God is so kind to us. He is so good at caring for us.

I am also in prayer tonight - that God would help me/us to willingly give up that comfort - so that I/you may serve Him with a joyful heart - no matter how uncomfortable or difficult the circumstances.

2 comments:

Andee said...

Mel-
I am wondering if God ever intended for us to be comfortable this side of the Promised Land. He gives us moments of refreshment, oasis in the desert, but why do we need Him if we are comfortable? Easy to say from where I sit, I know, but there's more than one kind of uncomfortable, eh? Praying for you!
Andrea

Lisa said...

Mel,

Like all things, we must hold comfort loosely... that was a good way of looking at things. It's just like being wise by saving money... on one hand, it's important to save little bit by little bit and make wise investments... on the other hand we have to be willing to use it how God leads. But, it's all in God's hands. He leads, we follow. I'm always blessed to hear how you are giving of your time and energy in wise ways... with a cheerful heart and some healthy boundaries. God is with you, my friend. What a privilege to be praying for such a servant!

Love, Lisa