Saturday, August 1, 2009

Three times

The poor lady had to wash my hair three times to get all the dust out. In my own defense, it is the dry season here in Uganda. And I swear that I wash my hair in the field. Though I admit, as much as I try to get clean, I know I still have a layer of village dirt on me even after my basin baths. And my hair is no exception.

Friday was a mini-milestone day for me and a little slice of heaven. I travelled back to Kampala and got a professional haircut! It's been over two years since I've had a professional haircut. You see, I taught my best friend Sarah how to cut it - to save money. And I've been using her ever since. But since I won't be seeing Sarah for at least 8 more months, I decided it was time to move on - or I was going to begin looking a little too "bush".

After about 20 minutes of hairwashing and head massaging (oh la la), I sat down for my South African friend to start chopping. We laughed and laughed because my hair was so crooked and crazy. Like a good beautician, she was really happy that I was finally taking proper care of my locks. But honestly, I still miss Sarah's crazy cuts.

Miss you, Sarah!

4 comments:

Aly sun said...

I love the feeling of a nice warm shower after a weekend of camping. I can't imagine how nice your hair washing and cut felt after being in the bush. :) Good for you.

Anonymous said...

You're too cute, MEL! I need your gmail address! Apparently, I still have your world vision addy in my email addy book :) I miss you so much and I think about you all the time. In short, I'm doing well. I'll fill you in when I get your gmail. iblong2gsus@comcast.net
just in case you're as good as me at keeping up with emails! LOL
Love you.

Lisa said...

Mel,

Your hair is curly and very forgiving of lopsided haircuts. You are beautiful in and out!

Love, Lisa

Unknown said...

I stand by my hair cutting techniques! It's the best free haircut this side of the Mississippi!

Love you,

Sarah ;)