Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Tidbits of life....

I'm currently planning our future water projects for the southwest region of Uganda. Next year we will be providing 18,000 more people - mostly children - with access to clean water. They will also get to hear about the Living Water offered through Jesus Christ. Praise the Lord!

I think my new favorite meal in the village is fried cabbage and matoke (plantain mush) with a side of guac and chipati. Quite tastey.

We are getting loads of rain in Buremba right now - making for happy farmers, peaceful evenings, and fast runs to the latrine.

The rains have also brought a beloved mouse problem into our teamhouse. After Liberia, mice don't really bother me. But it's funny to see Cory all up on his chair about it.

Yesterday I saw Generous and Julius (two of my married staff members) reading the bible together. We are going through the story of Joseph in devos and they were talking about it, laughing, and truly enjoying God's word. A precious moment.

I got to talk to my family for an entire hour on Sunday. It was so wonderful!! Thanks guys. :)

And right now I'm enjoying Moses' laugh around the corner. But he just knocked over a baby...so now we're both listening to her cry. Way to go Moses...

Looking forward to a 7 hour ride back to Kampala this weekend...because I don't have to drive and once I get there, I have some hazelnut creamer waiting for me. Thanks mom!

Just another glimpse into life on this side.

Hope you're having a great day!

4 comments:

Aly sun said...

Yep. Love the glimpses into African life. Such an adventure.

Domenica said...

Hey Mel! Sounds like you are doing well and enjoying all the little blessings God is sending your way.
I can hear your laugh as I read your entry! I miss you and I love you, girl! Until we meet again face to face...kisses and hugs from afar!

Lisa said...

Mel,

Sounds like you are feeling more and more at home where you are. God has given you many blessings there. But, remember where your joy comes from...

"Joy in Christ is not the opposite of suffering. The fight for faith or the fight for the joy of faith is not a fight for the prosperity gospel. It is not a fight for health, wealth and prosperity. What I would in fact argue is that it’s a fight for that alone which can enable you to suffer. It’s a fight for a relationship with Jesus that enables you to say “I count everything as loss bcause of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my lord.” That’s what I want more than anything. I want to be so related to Jesus that if my wife dies and I get a phone call tonight and my little girls dies…. if that happened and my wife and child were gone I would say "Christ is all." And He will be there. And I will not ever abandon Him. I will not ever fault Him for anything. I will always embrace Him. I will always fly to Him. That’s the way I want to relate to Jesus. That’s saving faith." -John Piper

Praying for you today,
Lisa

Beth "Pilar" Christy said...

I absolutely love hearing your stories about life in Africa.

Keep'em coming Mel!