Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Home Sweet Home


Praise God, I made it to the warmer side of the ocean safe and sound. This is a picture of my front yard. It's a beautiful beach in my eyes. Liberia is a beautiful country.

I feel like I've been here for weeks already, so I don't really know where to begin in describing it. The weather is very humid, but the heat is not overwhelming. The sky is grey because it rains everyday, multiple times a day - which is wonderful for falling asleep to at night. I have a wonderful front porch with a hammock that I like to relax in. It's perfect for quite times alone with God.

When I walk down my dirt road I am encountered by poverty. Children with tattered clothes, no shoes, and big bright smiles. I love their smiles. Everywhere I go, we talk about the war. Everything seems to be a result of it in one way or another. Not one person has gone unaffected. My heart breaks for them.

Please pray for Liberia - for my neighbors - for the people that I hope and pray will soon become my friends. Pray for their salvation -- for true reconciliation -- for healing and Hope.

It is a humbling experience being here. I complained about the food this afternoon in a room full of people who struggle to provide their children one meal a day. I gave thanks for my dinner with a new prayer.

I love it here already. It feels right. God is indeed here - just as He promised.

2 comments:

Laedelas Greenleaf said...

Sounds wonderful, Mel! Thank you for blogging. I'll be praying!

John Q said...

Missed you at CG tonight!