Sunday, June 22, 2008

Of Mice and Monrovia Women


We have a little mouse problem in our house these days. We've caught 6 in one week. And a record 4 in one day! I think the mice are beginning to learn that our sticky stuff is leathal, so we're coming up with more creative ways to catch them now. Pictured above is Taya's way. Let me explain. You see the purple bucket ... it full of water that will hopefully drown one of our little mousey friends. Leading up to the bucket is a wooden slab with little pieces of food to lure our friends along. Once the mouse gets to the top of the slab, there is a piece of string that is tied across the bucket, holding a fanta can. This is no ordinary Fanta can. No, no. This Fanta can is baited with peanut butter and cheese. How could a mouse possibly resist?! So the mouse will walk the tightrope over to the Fanta can and as soon as his foot hits the can, it rolls over and splash!!! One less mouse in the house!

This was the highlight of our Saturday night. Haha - good times!!

Hope you're all having a good weekend too!!

And let me know if you have any good mouse-catching strategies for us. :)

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Melanie, I am thinking of you and praying for you! Thank you for your beautiful blog!

How about a traditional mouse trap?

Beth "Pilar" Christy said...

Haha, I love the mouse trap! Sad that the mouseys have to die, but I understand.

I'm not too good at being creative, but you could always try catching it by tying cheese to a string and tying the other end to a piece of wood propping up one side of a box. So mousey pulls the piece of cheese and trips the the line. The wood prop falls and the box falls on top of the mouse...

The mice are probably smarter than me though so it may not work, lol!

Domenica said...

LOL! Love the mousetrap Mel! Tell Taya she gets 5 stars for creativity! haha
Hope you are doing well today. You are in my prayers (stronger tummy yet?) and I miss ya.
Talk soon.
love ya
Domen

Sandy kimmel said...

Mel,
I had heard about the "mouse trap" but the picture is too good. Please let us know if any of those annoying little varmints decide to take a swim.
Praying for you.
Sandy Kimmel