Saturday, June 28, 2008

loving mangoes!!


Some of you know this about me, but I have yet to eat a really good mango. Almost a sin, I know. I've heard all these delicious stories about my friends chowing down on the sweet things during their times in Africa. I was always so jealous! I tried a couple in the States, but they were never really ripe. So all I've ever had were stickey fingers and sour bites. Until....today!!

The ladies, Erin, Patty, and I decided to go on a walk for some fresh fruit and we scored BIG time! We found a family with a little stand. The longer we stayed, the more fruit that emerged and the more people. It was really cute. The entire family came out to talk to us. All 10 of them. Each bringing more fruit to chose from. We exchanged names and smiles and snaps and LD (liberian dollars). So now our home is stalked with mangos, oranges, bananas, pineapple, and avacados.

I could hardly wait to come home and chow down. I found that my friends' delicious mango stories were all true! My stickey fingers were finally coupled with sweet, juicey bites. Mmmm I can hardly tell you how good they were...but I think the picture above will give you a clue. I'm lovin mangoes today - hope you're lovin a little piece of life too!

God is good - so very sweet!

6 comments:

John Q said...

Just like fresh seafood at the ocean, there's no place like the origin for good food. Isn't our Father good to give us these gifts? Glad to hear that you are blessed.

Anonymous said...

Miss you! It's great reading about your new life in Liberia, Mel!

Beth "Pilar" Christy said...

So, this may be a dumb question, or maybe I missed it, but what are snaps? I saw you writing about snapping with Joseph and that he was suprised that you knew to do it. Is it a common part of greeting people in Liberia?

Domenica said...

Melanie!!! T'm so glad that you were blessed by the sweet, ripe juices of the mango! One of my favorite fruits. I miss you and I love you. praying for you today! started to blog myself if you have time it's iblong2gsus.blogspot.com

Yanet Herrera said...

Hola Melanie! Cómo estas? I really enjoyed seeing you eating mangoes ...you have to try venezuelan fruits too... Besos y saludos my friend. Dios te bendiga.

Anna B said...

i love mangos! Oh mel, I know I'm probably not supposed to tell you this but I miss you so, so very much. It's hit me the last few weeks that you are gone and it makes me sad. The good thing, though, is then i'm reminded to pray for you. love you sweet friend!