Thursday, October 22, 2009

Cooking with Jane: Premier


When I first arrived in Uganda I wondered, "Why do they pick their bananas when they're still so green? And how come I can't find huge 'yellow' bananas on the market like that? Where do they all go?"

Yeah, they were plantains.

So Jane is teaching me how to make matoke (aka banana mush) these days. Actually it's made from plantains. You can't peel them with your fingers like our sweet yellow bananas. You must peel them like a potato with a knife. (They actually taste more like a potato too.) It's fun peeling with Jane. She's a great teacher!

So after you peal, you simply boil till soft and then mush. Just like mashed potatoes, but a bit more rubbery and no additives needed.

I do enjoy matoke - even prefer it to rice. But only at our teamhouse. No one else makes it as good as Jane.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Will you make some for your Providence friends sometime?

Anonymous said...

It's great to see you liking the food there. It's also wonderful to see your beautiful smile. We miss you.

Aly sun said...

Plantains are strange. I'm glad you are enjoying them. I would still rather have a banana or a potato.