Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Richard - my Rich man

I attended a local government meeting regarding water and sanitation, today. I met a lot of new people. Here's one of my more entertaining conversations.

"Have I met you? Who are you?"

"No. I'm Melanie. I work for Samaritan's Purse."

"I'm Richard. You're very lucky to have met me. I am from Kahunge. Do you know Kahuge?"

"Somehow. I have been to that place, but I do not know your people there."

"You really are a very lucky woman to have met me. I am the richest man in Kahunge. You have just met a very rich man!! Aren't you happy?"

"Yes, of course." (I hold back an eye roll. I think.)

"Yes. I am so rich. I will tell you my forture. I own 4 goats! They all belong to me. I take care of them all myself."

Then I laughed along with others who were listening to our conversation. I realized I found a comedian. We live in the land of cattle. Many of these people are "rich" by village standards - because of their many cattle. But goats (though valuable) do not make people rich here. It just makes for a good laugh. Thanks, Richard.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

In actuality, you were probably one of the richest people at the seminar. Just a spoiled American!

Unknown said...

If you look at my freedom, credit (even with the crunch) and opportunities, I am (by far) the richest woman for miles.

Ironically, I have more debt than anyone here can imagine. However, no one else has my opportunity to obtain credit. And this credit is what allowed me (and my wonderful parents) to invest in my education. Our credit basically pays for our "Western" lifestyles, eh. It can certainly be a blessing if managed properly. It allows us to make investments in houses, cars, and college educations. And our education is what opens up numerous more doors of opportunity. The spiral can be a blessed one.

I am indeed a spoiled American. God has been incredibly gracious to have born me in America (to amazing Christian parents.) It's amazing to me that I come from America. Especially living here. Our freedom is nothing to take lightly. Our country is by no means perfect, but we are indeed very blessed. Particularly as "American women".

Alright off my soap box... :) Love you, Lisa!